Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Right or Wrong?

This kind of bothers me. I am torn about what to think about the whole thing. I can see the argument that we need to be able to do this to prevent terrorist attacks. However, what is the cost involved. The whole thing reminds me of the movie I am Legend. If you have seen the movie it starts by someone announcing that they have been able to cure cancer, all they have to do is introduce this virus that battles the cancer cells. The problem is that the virus can mutate (and does so) and then cause harm. When talking about domestic spying the immediate good is there for all to see. All we have to do is to take away this one little right that you enjoy and it will create a greater good for all. What they don't want to talk about is the great big elephant in the room, which is what else can this be used for. I may be a bit of a skeptic but my opinion is that the most important thing for people in power is to stay in power. I don't believe that most of our elected officials have my well being on their mind when they are making decisions. They are thinking about how what they do will effect them in the next election and how it can benefit themselves and their friends. Watergate should have taught us a lesson about this kind of stuff. President Nixon was not a nice person and he surrounded himself with people who were worse than him. This created an environment where there was no one to check the actions of these people, no one to say "hey maybe this isn't the right thing to do". Imagine what would have happened if the CREEP people who have had access to the technology available now (I am not positive but I think most of these domestic spying laws were implemented because of Watergate). Anyway, I am rambling a bit so I will get back to the point. Our congress has just passed a law that allows the government to monitor all of our communications without a warrant. So basically they can look at whatever they want. I just don't think that this will be limited to conversations between terrorists. I am not positive that the people we elect will be any different than Nixon and his brood, I honestly am of the opinion that the people in office now are worse. Maybe I have too little faith in the good nature of man, but I don't think so. My big worry is that we have introduced the little virus that is going to mutate and harm us all.



By the way I'm still at 218. I actually gained a pound and a half because of bad eating over the weekend but I have dropped it back off. Still going to the gym everyday and trying to stick to a better diet.

I saw the movie Cloverfield over the weekend. I really liked this movie. I like it when someone tries something different and when they pull it off it is even better. This movie was entertaining from start to finish and I highly recommend it. While were on the subject of movies I want to point out to anyone who would be reading this that I am a bit of a movie snob. I had a room mate in college who was a film major and I made a point of watching all the films he was required to watch and because of that I kind of developed a bit of a high brow taste in film. That is not to say that I don't like a good action film or romantic comedy, I just want them to do a good job making them. I don't require a movie to have a happy ending and in most cases would prefer they didn't. I don't need people to spell things out for me in the movie, just let the plot develop naturally. So that being said here is my video recommendation of the week

Jean de Florette
Manon of the Spring

The two movies are one story and you need to watch them both to get the full tale. If they don't bring a tear to your eye I don't know what will. So long.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great post, Brent!
I have long been feeling like Bush is heading the way of Joe McCarthy with all his fear inducing terror-talk. Now, with his ILLEGAL spying, it's becoming harder to make many distinctions between the two.

P.S. Thanks for the movie recommendations. I'm always looking for a good flick.